Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Raya oh raya!

I'm home! And oh Raya was so fun! It was chaotic, colourful, loud and everything else in between.

So, this year we celebrated Raya with a few of my mum's students. Well I'm not sure if 8 would be counted as 'a few' but heck we all had an incredible time. We had boys from Afghanistan, Mozambique, Palestine, Yemen and Tajikistan (yes, there is such a country). The Afghans painted my house and cooked dinner for the whole lot of us on the eve of Eid. And the rest were brought back to Raub to have a taste of Malay culture and Eid celebration in the kampung.

We visited the kampung houses, the graveyards of my dead ancestors, played firecrackers all night long, went for a boat ride and a swim in the river and of course we stuffed ourselves silly with lemang, rendang, ketupat and what not. Seriously, there was food everywhere and I reached a point where my stomach couldn't take it anymore. Bleehh.

I need to detox myself after this and lose all the Raya fats. Ohh well.

Photos! :)

Our house painters for the day

And here we have our cooks for the day. They made some Afghan rice and salad. Sedap!

Maghrib prayers 'berjemaah'

The 'additional family' on the morning of Eid, at my paternal grandparents' home in Kota Damansara

The three of us looking good in baju raya :)

Ohh la la! 'Vogue pose' Hehe

Cousins

The whole lot of us
And on my mum's side in Raub

My aunties. They are fearless, patronizing and everything you can think of. In a good way, of course.

These cousins of mine who think they are tall, not-so-dark and handsome. Mehh =P

Minah main mercun. Haha

This is how kids these days smile for the camera

Prayers for those who have left us

Hasan from Mozambique trying to climb the wooden stairs of the kampung house

Benny, my aunty's pet. Imagine having this deer as your pet in your backyard

The river

The guys enjoying their boatride

Yes, me too

Swim, swim!

No comments: