Sunday, June 20, 2010

My Hijab

Pretty much everyone knows that when in UIA, the females MUST cover up their aurah, including their hair by wearing the tudung/hijab. Though, of course, there are some of them who only wear the hijab in the university's compound and take it off whenever they are outside.

Ever since I entered UIA, I've decided to wear the hijab....full time. I dunno, somehow I feel like if I only wear it in the uni and remain a 'free hair' (someone who doesn't wear the hijab) outside, I am being a hypocrite. At least, that's how I feel, personally.

It's like I wear it just because the university requires me to do so and not because of Allah even though it's clearly said in Islam we have to cover up. I follow the rules set by humans but I choose not to follow the rules ordered by Allah? Where's the sincerity of my faith in that?

And because of that, I take the decision to wear it full-time and have been wearing it for the last one month, alhamdulillah :) Surprisingly so, I actually feel more beautiful, inside out when I adorn the scarf on my head. Plus, I wouldn't have to worry about having another bad, frizzy hair day. Hehe.

Everyone has the right to their own choices, whether they want to wear the hijab or not, whether required by an authority or otherwise.

Whichever choice you make, it's between you and God. This is my personal choice and as a Muslim, I am proud of it.

I can only hope this will lead me to a better person, Insyaallah.

Some shots of me with the new look ;)

With Ibu and Papa at a cousin's wedding. I chose to wear the normal scarf while Ibu opted to wear the 'Siti Nurhaliza's' tudung. Phewitt! =p

With Papa. Ever since he had his cataract surgery, he's always seen with his sunglasses outside. Stylo!

At our favourite hangout place, Starbucks.

See, no bad hair in sight.

6 comments:

aRinarRe said...

that's the spirit ;)

Faridah said...

You look comel and more like a foreigner.Pheeweeet! I remember that I made my decision to wear tudung much later than you (I think around 22) Itu pun sebab dah janji dengan my fren ~ if she wore, I'd wear.Tengok2 she wore the following week (I thought it'd take her another year).But yes, you will be more focused on other things other than your physical needs (hair esp).Well done!

Nik Nor Zafirah said...

Arina: Indeed =)

Ibu: Yea you told me about the 'dare' thing you had with your friend. Looks like now I can always raid your wardrobe for more scarves and tudung. Yayy!

Sabreena Nordin said...

Hey, so proud of you! alhamdulillah
I did the same thing :) i've been wearing it everywhere.
It was tough at first kan. But it's getting better now :D

Nik Nor Zafirah said...

Sabrina: Thanks Sabrina! Yea, it was kinda tough at first because we were still a bit conscious on how we look like with this new style.

But hey, as of now, no more complaints. Just praises. Hehe :)

Proud of you too, girl. Let's keep it up!

Sam said...

There was a time in Form 1 when us 1 Belian were still at Block F. I remember walking past these two girls in tudungs and it took me several seconds to realise it was you and Alia running late for Agama classes. I don't think the tudung just makes you look different physically but there seems to be an air of maturity that comes from wearing it. I'm not someone who's particularly religious at all but how you've decided to start wearing it all the time is really beautiful. You are beautiful, and I feel really inspired just by reading this. :)