Tuesday, December 02, 2008

A piece of cloth

I went to Port Dickson last week with my mum since she had a conference over there. And one ustaz from IIUM came up to my mum and asked this 1 million dollar question "Why isn't your daughter wearing any tudung (headscarf)?"

Uh-huh. I'm a 16 year old Muslim girl and by right I should already be wearing the tudung but I believe donning my head with the scarf should be a choice that comes from inside and not because I was forced to. The tudung isn't just any piece of cloth. It's a symbol of hope, determination and declaration to live as Allah ordains.

And I have to make sure that I am ready to carry such responsibilities. Too many times we see girls with tudungs but they sometimes do not reflect the true teachings of Islam. That's because they do not embrace the significance of the cloth and wear it for the sake of wearing it.

I don't want to be one of them. But don't get me wrong here. Not wearing the scarf does not mean I am not determine in my duties as a Muslim. I still pray and live according to the Islamic teachings. And if and when I have decided to don my head with the scarf, that would be the time and day where I have finally made my choice from within.

Every tudung clad Muslim girl has a 'tudung story'. A story that made them wear the scarf for the first time.

I have not found my 'tudung story' yet.

No comments: